PBE represents Philippine industry in the World Business Council for Sustainable Development and is the partner of choice of the government and of several international organizations for the implementation of environmental programs in the Philippines.
PBE has implemented several technical assistance programs on environmental management with the assistance of and/or in partnership with international agencies like the UNDP, UNEP, USAID, US-Asia Environmental Partnership, the Asia Foundation, World Bank, Japan International Cooperation Agency, Asian Development Bank, International Labor Organization, Carl Duisberg Gessellschaft and Internationale Weiterbildung und Entwicklung gGmbtt (InWent) – Germany.
PBE’s experience on Environmental Management Systems includes implementation of several environmental management (EM) technical assistance programs conducted jointly with the Board of Investments – Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) with the support of international funding agencies. These undertakings resulted in many firm-level and sector specific EM initiatives and collaborative undertakings, as well as published case studies and industry manuals/guidebooks.
PBE is also involved in actual on-the-ground environmental management enhancement and awareness programs in the following focus areas:
- Resource efficiency and resource recovery, solid waste management
- Climate Action and Greenhouse Gas Accounting and Reduction
- Watershed Management & Education
- Green Buildings & Sustainable Construction
- Green Jobs & Just Transition
- Green Procurement & Eco-labeling Program
- Sustainable production and sustainable consumption
- Clean Air & Sustainable Transport
PBE has been a partner of the government and civil society in several campaigns and roll-out of national programs. These include:
- Laguna Lake Environmental Users’ Fee Information / Education Project (1996)
- Piso para sa Pasig (River) Campaign
- Anti-smoke Belching Campaign (Project Blue Sky) with the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP)
- The Philippine Business Agenda 21 (for voluntary industry environmental action and self – regulation) in support of the national Philippine Agenda 21 under the UNDP – assisted Private Sector Participation in Environmental Management (PRIME) Program (1997 – 2001)
- The Clean Air Campaign of the ADB – assisted Partnership for Clean Air (2001-2003), and the Global Compact Initiative led by the Employers’ Confederation of the Philippines.